Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Downsizing - an apartment redesign

Here's a redesign from my "archives". Several months ago I helped a client who had recently downsized significantly and moved to a much smaller apartment. After getting rid of a huge amount of possessions, the client needed help bringing unity to the things she did keep. She also needed help integrating a large sectional and large entertainment unit into a much smaller space.

Before...

After...
I started by breaking up the entertainment center. I placed the center section, with TV, in one corner of the room. Then, placed the two tall and skinny units together on the opposite side of room, where they could be used for book storage. Then, I broke up the L-shaped sectional and placed the two separate couches across from each other. This was the only way to keep parts of the couch from blocking off entrances into the room, but it also created a nice conversation area.

Before...
After...
The living room had to function as the home office as well. The client had a large, country style armoire that was a great home office - but the light pine wood and country stylings didn't really go with the newer contemporary flavor we went for. I recommended the client paint it black, along with the coffee table. This made the country styling disappear and the armoire, entertainment and coffee table all coordinated better together, even though they were different styles.

Before...
After...
the artwork by the client's daughter that inspired the colors of the room...
Personal momentos, and a flowerpot that adds more cheerful color...
My number one tip for adding to or changing the color of your room: new throw pillows and throws...

The client had saved money for a few Craigslist purchases (coffee table & dining table) and a shopping spree at Ikea for accessories.

Not only do I adore this client - she is so much fun and a good friend - but I loved helping turn her little apartment into a cheerful place, full of personal art and color. I got to be a "personal shopper" on Craigslist (love that CL!) and a personal shopper at Ikea. It was too fun!

Read here if you'd like to see more before and afters.

5 comments:

  1. CUTE pillows on that couch. And I think you can never go wrong with a can of black paint. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU for featuring our apartment, Courtney! I had new guests over the other day & I was so happy to have them because our space is warm, inviting, and organized. And I haven't changed a thing since you did this for us in September! You have a timeless eye and you really listen to your clients. You're the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diana & Maria - thanks! I agree about black paint...although just about any color will do in my book. :-) And Char - but of course, my friend! I'm proud of what we accomplished and had a blast doing it! (You guys, she is so much fun...seriously.) You can tell your hubby he even made it into the blog - his back, anyway! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Courtney! Great post! Before and Afters really identify to people for some reason. I love the shelf under the window... kind of adds a ledge type feeling with storage to boot! Great post and I hope things are good!

    ReplyDelete

thank you for commenting, dahling! I can't wait to hear what you have to say. :-)