Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Have yourself a SPARKLY little Christmas!



So I'm participating in TWO Holiday Parites in blogland! If you're here from Hooked on Houses, welcome! I'm participating in Julia's Hooked on Holiday House Tours Party! I've also signed up for Kimba's Holiday Open House! Both of these parties have FABULOUS hostesses and lots of eye candy on their tours. Be sure to check them out! Let the party begin!



Anyway, onto the Christmas decor you'll see at my house these days: Above is a close-up of my mantel this year. I LOVE decorating my mantel at my house. It's huge, and flanked by two symmetrical square windows. The mantel itself runs the full length of the living room wall so there's lots of room to put STUFF. And come Christmas-time, I do. I Put Stuff.




Here's the mantel when you step back a bit. The garland is made of curly-willow branches, spray-painted silver, that I had left over from the wedding I designed last winter. I stuck in several SPARKLY picks of berries and leaves, plus some aqua Christmas ornaments. I interspersed my little collection of mercury-glass candleholders and voila! Can you tell I like SPARKLY things? (There's also a little garland made up of small square mirrors that is draped below the mantel that you'll see repeated later on my tree.)









Here's the scene on top of my piano. (You may remember this post where I lamented over the empty space above the piano. Well, as you can see, it's empty no more!) I filled a simple hurricane with a large white pillar candle and ornaments from Target (they look glass, but are only $8.99 for 24! Can't beat that!) Also, my very first snow globe. I'm not a fan of them, but my daughters are, so the day I spotted one that matched my living room, I bought it for them. (I know, I know - it's a sickness. But I want them to match the decor and not be cheesy...what can I say?)






Here's a closeup of the hurricane. These cute little trees I bought at a clearance sale at Pottery Barn after Christmas one year (which, by the way, is my number one tip for affordable Christmas decor - buy it the day after Christmas for the following year!). If you like the look of these little trees, they have similar ones at Target right now - although the bases are red or gold - for only $6 to $9 each. Super cute, simple, and somewhat realistic-looking. Also, you can see the base of the mirror that I bought at a garage-sale this summer - it was only $7 but painted gold - I finally spray-painted it white and now I think it feels somewhat relieved!









Here's the shelf above my TV. You can't tell in this pic, but the three trees are VERY SPARKLY. Crate & Barrel, After-Christmas Sale. (Spotting a theme, anyone?) I backlit the aqua vase with a $6 light from Ikea and I have to admit it looks very cool and dramatic, especially at night. The vase is filled with silver branches and branches with silver and glass berries.






This PEACE sign is also SPARKLY, though you can't tell here. Only $7.50 at the new Real Deals store here in Oregon City. (For you locals, it's on Washington just down from Home Depot. Love their Christmas decor!)
And here's the tree. So, every year I use my SPARKLY and clear and white ornaments, and add a different accent color. So far I've done silver + purple, silver + red, silver + green & blue, silver + red & aqua, and now this year....what happened? It was supposed to be retro-inspired, with silver (of course) plus aqua, lime green, pink, and orange. Crazy, huh? The problem is, I can't find my lime green ornaments (yes, I really do have some!). AND, I'm wishing I had done pale pink rather than the hot pink, because that hot pink is sort of grating on my nerves a little, but the other day my daughter said (in a somewhat breathless, dramatic voice) "THANK YOU for doing that bright pink on the tree, Mommy!" So at that point, there was no turning back. My daughter loves the pink, as bright as it is, therefore, it stays. You know how it is. (When you see her playroom decor, you'll understand!)












There's a story with this tree-topper, too. Every year we've used a silver and SPARKLY star that lights up. Well, this year, it didn't light up. Last year it didn't light up either, and my husband spent a ridiculous amount of time (bless his heart) painstakingly taking it apart and making it work again. This year, I just don't think he could bring himself to do it again. I didn't blame him. So, after looking at a dark star on top of the tree for a few days, I just couldn't take it. I pulled some of these silver and SPARKLY picks out of the branches of the tree and wired them to the top of the tree. Then, I added this SPARKLY turquoise ribbon and voila! It was budget-friendly, because I already owned all the components to make it. And it's fun cause it's just something a little different.







Some closeups of the SPARKLY-ness. (Is that a word?)



Yummy.







We have picture frame ornaments on the tree from the year we were married, and from each of our children's first Christmases. I'm going to start buying a frame for every year, whether it's a kid's first Christmas or not. They're much easier to find these days and very inexpensive! It's fun to dig out the ornaments and relive the memories from the photos. You can also see a little bit more of that mirrored garland - which I love - that is on both the fireplace and the tree.






Here's one of the two silver SPARKLY trees that we have in front of our two little windows over the mantel. This is the view at dusk.






And here it is during the day. I think these were a JoAnn's purchase a few years back; they often put their Christmas decor down to 70% off (often even before Christmas!) and that's when I scored these pre-lit beauties for about $10 each. They have glass-beaded branches. I love them.




Okay, moving on to the kitchen now. In case you are dying for a glimpse of traditional red and green, never fear! It's here. In the kitchen. Actually, I recently painted the walls a soft green, so I am using some of my red Christmas decorations in here. It's a more casual feel - a little less SPARKLY - but no less festive. Above is a silver wreath with a red ribbon. I like the fruits on it - goes perfectly with the kitchen. (They aren't really this bright - the flash made them look almost flourescent.)






I hung red star ornaments with fishing line over the window above the sink. I love the simplicity of this look.






Here's my easy-peasy centerpiece for the kitchen table. A Christmas plate, red candle, and more simple red ball ornaments. I tried a few other centerpieces, but the girls couldn't see each other over them, so I made it smaller and shorter. Now they're happy.






And speaking of the girls, here they are! My little elves, who love helping me put up Christmas decorations. The ones I'll let them touch, that is. ;-)

And last, but not least: the pink foil tree, complete with pink lights, in the orange/pink/lime green playroom. This tree is all girl (as if you couldn't tell!) and is being slowly decorated with one tiny ornament a day from our little advent calendar. By Christmas Day it will have the full cast and characters from the Nativity on it.

Phew! If you stuck with me all the way to the end of this long post, bravo! I guess my posts are more about quality than quantity, these days. :-) I am missing blogging but have managed to fill my time with many, many other things. It feels good to be getting caught up, but I do miss my Nesting Instincts blog and business. You can bet I'll be checking in more between now and March, when the baby's due.
Have yourself a SPARKLY and Merry Little Christmas!! xoxo.

38 comments:

  1. I love your sparkles. I <3 the girls tree. Let's just say that this post takes my breath away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney! So glad to see you and love you decorations!I love your tree!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! It all looks so pretty, Courtney! I love it all. I'm glad you came out of your "blog break" to show us.

    That mirror turned out great and looks perfect over the piano. Also like the idea of the blue ornaments in the hurricane with the candle. I've got ornaments in a hurricane, but no candle. Wouldn't have thought of that.

    My daughter would FLIP over that hot-pink tree in the playroom. How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Courtney, so glad to see you stopped by & have a new post too! It all looks fabulously festive & sparkly and yes, I love sparkle too. I love everything you did!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've sparkled up my house this year with silver & blue.

    I LOVE your holiday decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how ethereal everything looks. Just airy and magical. And then WHAM: colorful, creative and funky for the kids.

    Perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love it !! and amazing you can do all the 6 mo. preggo- kudos to you! I have 3 children - my youngest 3 mo. 3 is an adventure I tell ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your girls are adorable. And, I especially LOVE your mantle decorations!! Everything is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the mantle- I used about the same color theme in our little City Bungalow-
    great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the calm and elegance of blue and white at Christmas time. Thanks so much for sharing with us all of these photographs! Such beauty! ~Arleen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, yay!!!!! I came over to thank you for your comment on my fundraiser post for Hudson Cradle (thank YOU!) and here you are, decking your halls with boughs of silver! If you weren't so preggo, I'd put you on a plane to decorate my house. :-) I seem to be moving two speeds on the holiday decorating this year...slow, and stop. Ugh. Just can't get a move on. I'm in December denial!

    I hope you are feeling great! If the house is any indication of how you're feeling, you must be feeling fabulous! It's so great to hear from you...happy holiday season to everyone in the nesting instinct family. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love ALL your holiday decorations, especially the mantle because I usually overdo it and yours is simple, sparkly and has a fairy like quality. Also, Congrats on finding you will have a son soon!! Jane
    PS Hope to have some pics on my blog soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your sparkliness, especially your squiggly mirror and tree topper. Very fun and unusual. Have a blessed Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the sparkles everywhere! I was tempted to buy one of those pink foil trees at Michael's last weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your home looks beautiful, and elegant, I hope your pregnancy is going well, when are you due? I love mercury glass, I think I will shop the day after Christmas this year, and get some ornaments and candlesticks on sale!! Pottery Barn is great, but expensive usually! have a great holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG! I think your mantel is the most gorgeous thing like EVER! I love it!!! Everything is so pretty...I'm in awe. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Look at you... it's hard to not do a hundred things at the same time, isn't it! Believe me, I know!

    The ribbon on the wreath is absolutely my most favorite thing! I don't like to put nails in my front door and I have done a wreath and ribbon (with a nail on the top of the door) for years!!!

    Enjoy this blessed time of year Courtney... happy holidays to you and the family.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What great decorations! Yourhouse must be amazing....

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so glad that you came back to show your decorations! I had just found your blog when you decided to take a break. Everything looks beautiful--and I hope your pregnancy is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ohhhh Courtney, everything is so pretty!

    I tend to lean toward warmer tones (gold, deep red and sage green) BUT I'm still ALL about the sparklies, too!!!

    This year, my hubby ended up doing the tree pretty much single-handed. It is not as "themed" as I would have done it, but it is colorful and beautiful just the same.

    Thanks so much for dropping in to share your decorations with us!

    Alesha

    ReplyDelete
  21. So pretty, I love the silver and blue! So classy and chic!

    ReplyDelete
  22. YAY! You are so talented and your house is homey, not overdone. I love your style. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Absolutely stunning, and done to perfection! You are so talented!! Your clients must be missing you very much!

    Enjoy what's left of your pregnancy!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  24. You are talented, indeed. I'm completely in awe of your amazing decorating skills! I hope you don't come over to my site because you'll be appalled at my puny tree. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! Gorgeous! If this is the decor when you are busy and tired and pregnant, you must be able to move mountains the rest of the time. I love it all, especially the new tree topper. It kind of looks like a pineapple - the traditional symbol of hospitality.

    robin (tour #60)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Courtney, everything looks so great. I really love what you did this year for your tree topper. Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm really liking the silver and blue combo! Maybe next year! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love your sparkle and enchanting colors....it looks so peaceful and soothing! Lovely home.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Absolutely gorgeously stunning. I love sparkly too, and you do it so well! Better than anyone else I've ever seen. I can't seem to pull off sparkly in my decor, seeing as how I'm on a ranch and all, but I dig yours. I'll just come over here when I want my fill of sparkles!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your house is spectacular! I love all of your decorations. So cute! Thanks for sharing!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  31. That was one of the most fun tours I've taken. Loved, loved, loved everything! And I did stick with your post all the way through. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks for the invitation!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love your decorations~absolutely adorable!
    I hope you'll visit soon, I will have my last giveaway of December this Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  33. The blue and silver with touches of hot pink is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Your looks just beautiful! I was feeling sparkly this year and you've given me some ideas. Although they'll have to wait for the after Christmas sales and hopefully I'll feel sparkly next Christmas too. Thanks for the tour - it was fun!

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  35. Everything is so pretty. Silver & blue look so elegant together!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hello, what a beautiful post. I love silver and blue too :)

    Best wishes for 2009 and Happy New Year !

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  37. Loved your posts, and esp the blue and white, ck out our blog
    happy new year
    thanks again
    kate

    ReplyDelete

thank you for commenting, dahling! I can't wait to hear what you have to say. :-)