Monday, January 28, 2008

An "Elmo" 3rd Birthday Party

Hi everyone!
Here are a few images from my daughter's birthday party on Saturday:










Here was my challenge: create a cute, stress-free party for three-year-olds, with Elmo as a theme, and have it still look good. Here were my solutions:

Solution #1: 3 yards fabric from Ikea - only $1.99 a yard! This created two kids' tablecloths, a runner for the food table, and a runner for the mantel (where I kept the favors).
Solution #2: Custom invitation, using Elmo clipart & scrapbook paper. I splurged and purchased a font that looks like crayon writing at MyFonts.com.
Solution #3: Cupcakes instead of cake. Kids love them, they were SO easy to distribute at the party, and I got to use my new 3-tier cupcake stand from Crate & Barrel! How I love my cupcake stand!
Solution #4: Store-bought, pre-packaged peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, goldfish crackers, fruit cups, and Jelly Bellies. No cooking for me - and the kids were totally happy!
Solution #5: Pre-packaged chicken ceasar salads and cheesey breadsticks from Costco for the moms and dads - still no cooking for me - and for once, we didn't have to eat PB&J's with our kids!
Solution #6: 99-cent primroses, displayed in primary-colored paper bags, which I cut down with scrapbooking scissors. I sent these home with the moms as their own little thank-you gift.
Solution #7: Two Ikea end tables (the $12.99 ones) which I will now be combining for a cheap coffee table...the perfect size for dining tables for little ones
Solution #8: Plastic chairs from the Container Store - $9.99 each - a little pricey for me (when you buy six!) but plan to use them for every toddler birthday party from here to the year 2050.

Phew! That was a long post, but I wanted to share these ideas with you in the hopes that you might be able to use one of them, sometime, somewhere, for some reason. Happy Monday!

13 comments:

  1. I just saw your pics on the Hostess Blog. And quickly came over to your blog to bookmark these ideas. My son is very into Elmo right now and these birthday ideas are great. BTW, I love your daughter's outfit...if you don't mind me asked where did you find it? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liz, thank you! I got my daughter's outfit from a shop on Etsy called Elliebeans. Here's the link to her extremely cute shop of handmade kids clothing:
    http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5202542

    And here's the link to my Friday's Fabulous Finds post back in January where I mentioned it: http://nesting-instincts.blogspot.com/2008/01/fridays-fabulous-finds_25.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    Saw the post on Hostess from the Mostess... can you tell me where you got the containers for the favors?
    Thanks,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure...I got them at The Dollar Tree. I've seen similar ones though at craft supply stores like Michael's, too. Thanks for asking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All is can say is WOW! I am so happy that I stumbled across your wonderful party pics and ideas. My daughter turns 2 in Dec and I am in the beginning stages of planning her Elmo party!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so thankful for your post...I am planning a 1st birthday party for my baby girl. She LOVES Elmo. Nothing else exists when he is on t.v. Elmo decorations tend to look boyish, and I of course wanted a girly looking decor. Your ideas are perfect inspiration for me!! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all of your ideas! Where did you find the Elmo plates! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely party! Can you tell me where you ordered the Elmo 'face' plates and hats? I've not seen these in my search for Elmo party supplies. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! Thanks so much for the wonderful ideas. For months, I was determined not to have an Elmo party for our son's 2nd birthday because I couldn't be inspired by all of the cheesy ideas out there. So thanks for the inspiration! I would love to know where you got the simple Elmo face plates. I haven't found them anywhere! Thanks again!

    nicole

    ReplyDelete
  10. Would love to use the clip art of Elmo on my daughter's birthday invitation. Have been unable to find it anywhere on internet search. Could you post the link to where you found it? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi all - just realized I have some questions here to answer...unfortunately I don't really have any answers. Regarding the plates - they were part of a design called "sesame friends" which has now been discontinued (this info thanks to a reader who did MUCH research searching for them). And the clipart - obtained (possibly illegally) from the world wide web. Exact source? I have no idea. It's been two years and LOTS of birthday parties since. Sorry. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your fabric-covered, colorful tables. Was going to rent tables for our Sesame Street/Elmo party - but it will be the same price really just to buy the ikea ones and keep for future parties. Great idea. I can't find the fabric on their website and I am 4 hrs from the closest Ikea. Do you remember the name of the fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mom2SassyPants - Just saw your comment (two months later, sorry!)...the fabric was on sale because it was being discontinued. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete

thank you for commenting, dahling! I can't wait to hear what you have to say. :-)