Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Vintage Baby Shower

Hi everyone! Sorry I'm posting about this late today. I've been pretty sick recently...it's a long story...let's just say I have endometriosis and it really gives me fits at times. This week has been one of those times. But anyway, I think the shower last night turned out just lovely, and Hannah (mommy of baby Abigail, the guest of honor) seemed really pleased. I'm sure Abigail was quite pleased, too, although she showed it by spitting up on other people but then falling asleep in MY arms, thankyouverymuch.



I realized only today, looking at the pics, that a lot of them turned out much darker than I had thought. So please forgive my lowsy photography! And on to a few details...



Here's the banner I made for Abigail. It was a LOT less labor-intensive to print the letters onto white cardstock, which I then just cut into rectangles, than it was to cut out a letter form, trace it onto patterned cardstock, then cut out the patterned cardstock (like I did here). But, it was still a pretty cute look. I went a little crazy with one of my corner punches and made each corner of the letters elaborate and pretty (of course, you'll have to just take my word for it, because you can't really tell in the photo!). I've decided that banners are one of my favorite ways to pull together a color scheme for a party. I have so much fun finding pretty scrapbook papers to mix and match.


My whole theme for this shower was based on a vintage table cloth I have that is yellow with pink, green, and white on it. (You can sort of see it in the background on several of these photos.) I found pretty pink and green paper plates & napkins, and mixed them with yellow plates and green cups. I prefer the paper goods to not be too matchy-matchy.


Grrr...another dark photo...but you can kind of see the fancy corners on the custom invite I created and then displayed as part of the decor. There are three layers of pretty cardstock, and a couple of different fonts...the primary being French Script.

The hostess, Sarah, made a really refreshing sparkling strawberry lemonade punch (it was like 95 degrees last night, which is super-hot for us Oregonians!) with a really lovely ice ring in it. Scrapbook paper over my Battenburg lace tablecloth adds dimension and color.

Ah, my trusty cupcake stand. How I love you, Cupcake Stand! How I love Crate & Barrel, where I bought you. Heck, how I love cupcakes! It's a regular lovefest, people!

The flowers were all in little white vintage and new pitchers and vases. I chose pink and yellow Gerbera daisies because I wanted something charming, old-fashioned and not fussy-looking. (I almost always buy my flowers at Costco. I get two bunches of them for $17.98 total, and once I split them up they always go pretty far.)

These are the little favors. Pink candles in tiny pink glass goblets. I bought them months ago on clearance at Target, because I thought they would make great baby shower favors. Then, all my friends announced they were having boys. But all's well that ends well, because they fit the theme of this shower perfectly. Each one is tied with a ribbon and decorative tag that reads "Welcome Abigail".



There's my wrinkled tablecloth. Oops. The key is to dazzle people with all your other decor so they don't notice the wrinkles. :-)

18 comments:

  1. This is really cute!! I'm doing a shower for my sister this month, she's having a boy. I love the banner idea! And I'm with you loving the cupcakes- always a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, bee-yoo-ty! Thanks for sharing and I hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suddenly, I'm realizing that I desperately need my own cupcake stand. Your cupcakes look so pretty like that, instead of just lined up on the table like mine would be. Frankly, I'm wondering how I have lived this many years in the world without one.

    The whole shower just looks lovely. If you lived here I'd be hiring you for all of my events! -J :-)

    P.S. Sorry you haven't been feeling good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you're on the mend, my dear. I'm praying for you. The shower looks exquisite, naturally! I love the daisies and the banner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Little Abigail's shower is lovely! You have a delightful blog.
    Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that is just so beautiful and dreamy!What a great job! Jen R

    ReplyDelete
  7. it all looks delightful, especially the cupcakes and the candles, I love teh ribbon and tag too...oh and of course, who sees the wrinkles

    ReplyDelete
  8. I knew it was going to be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How CUTE - this is a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty, pretty, pretty. Now I want to host a shower...someone get pregnant..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooooo!!! You host a mean shower! Makes me want to get preggo so someone will offer to host one for me and I could send them to your blog for ideas.

    OK. Bad idea. But I could host one for someone else and steal all your ideas!!! Much better idea. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Courtney,

    Beautifully decorated baby shower and great ideas for baby shower favors.

    I really like the color scheme for a baby shower and the way it actually ran all the way through from the decorations to the food.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love vintage tablecloths!! Especially Christmas ones.

    I really like the use of scrapbookpaper as accents on the tables, like under the punch bowl. I need to try that sometime.

    You gave me a lot of really good ideas in case I ever throw a baby shower!! Or any kind of party, for that matter :)

    Robyn :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You throw the prettiest parties!!! Everything is gorgeous. I love the colors you used.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You accidentally failed to mention that, while you do shop for your flowers at Costco, you always make sure that they are CALIFORNIA GROWN flowers. Of course, Gerberas are easily Californian and likely obvious to most all people. However, some people might want to know where you get the wonderful flowers you use. . .tell 'em California!

    THE FLOWER POLICE

    ReplyDelete
  16. ooops...sorry officer...you're right...totally forgot to mention those flowers MUST come from California. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful! You put together a lovely shower... I love every detail! :)

    ReplyDelete

thank you for commenting, dahling! I can't wait to hear what you have to say. :-)