Thursday, January 31, 2008

Strawberry Dream Cake



Strawberry Dream Cake - Perfect for Valentine's Day, a girl's birthday, or any strawberry-lover! This is a FABULOUS recipe that I got from my husband's grandmother. At the age of 90, she was still making this cake every year for my mother-in-law's birthday, so when I got married, she passed the recipe and the tradition on to me. I made a few adjustments to the recipe, and in addition to making it each year for my mother-in-law's birthday, I've also used it for cupakes for my daughter's birthday. This is a perfect cake for February, because it has a beautiful pink color from top to bottom.

Cake:
1 white cake mix
1 small package strawberry Jell-O
2 T. flour
4 eggs
½ c. water
½ c. vegetable oil
10 oz. container of frozen, sliced strawberries in sugar, thawed

Buttercream Frosting:
3 c. powdered sugar
1 stick salted butter, softened
1 tsp. vanilla extract
10 (or so) drops red food coloring (optional)

Filling:
1 pint heavy whipping cream
2 T. powdered sugar (to taste)
8-10 fresh, sliced strawberries

CAKE:
Mix all ingredients except strawberries on medium spee for 2 minutes. Add berries and their juice and mix 1 more minute. Divide batter into two 8- or 9-in. round cake pans. Bake @ 350◦ for 35-40 minutes. Cool on racks for 10 minutes, then frost with frosting.

FROSTING:
Beat all frosting ingredients on medium-high speed for two minutes. Add food coloring to get the desired color of pink.

FILLING:
Beat heavy whipping cream with sugar until peaks form. Add fresh sliced strawberries and spread between layers.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for commenting, dahling! I can't wait to hear what you have to say. :-)