Thursday, February 11, 2010

details of a fairy party

When the girls arrived at the party, they got to choose their own fairy skirt (thank you, Dollar Tree!) and wings to wear. I couldn't find pre-made fairy wings for each girl that fit my budget, so...I used some white posterboard (that I already had) and cut out wings. Then, I free-handed a swirly design (loosely based on Tinkerbell's wings) and sprayed the wings with gold glitter spray so they shimmered.

The girls got to choose the color of ribbon to attach to the wings. Their moms helped them tie the strings onto the wings and then around their shoulders to strap them on.

I honestly expected the girls to only wear their wings for about the first fifteen minutes of the party. But those girls wore their wings and fairy skirts proudly the entire time! And no one got poked in the eye by anyone's wings! It was a birthday miracle.

The food was sort of a kids' version of brunch. It was a breakfast bar with their favorite sugar cereals, colorful yogurts, fruit, and juices. I found these round label templates on Martha Stewart's website and went a little crazy, labeling everything that didn't move. Oh, and one of the things I like to do at these kids parties is provide food for the grown-ups too - because I don't know about you, but I don't really want Lucky Charms for lunch anymore. (Mom, your little girl is all grown up!) So the day before, I made these Bacon Quiche Cups and then reheated them in the oven right before serving. Combined with fruit and juice it was a nice little lunch for the mommas.


My daughter helped out by coloring this large picture of Tinkerbell, and then the girls played "pin the butterfly on Tinkerbell". It was really cute.


Here's the birthday girl attempting to place the butterfly in just the right spot while blindfolded. You can see a little of her fairy skirt peeking out too. Their other activity was coloring and cutting out a large butterfly which they then attached to a stick and it was sort of a wand or whatever their imagination wanted it to be. (I'll admit, it was a last-minute craft when my other plan fell through. Thank goodness for clipart where you can easily go find a butterfly and make it huge when you need to!)


There's the birthday girl on the mantel again!


I don't sew, but I like bunting...so here's my version of bunting, made with scrapbook paper instead! It probably only took about 45 minutes total to put it together. (Or is that a long time? You tell me!)


And the cost of this bunting wasn't more than $3.00. You gotta love that.

In fact, I love it so much it's become Spring decor. I just can't bear to take it down!


Here's my younger daughter at her sister's party. She was the one child who DID take her wings off within ten minutes...the age difference between her at three and the other girls at five was apparent. But isn't she a doll?

I found these cute butterfly garlands at Michael's, and I was going to do a fabulous crafty decorative thingy with them...but ran out of time. So I put them on this shelf instead and I thought it was cute.


And last, but not least, I provided a "candy bar" where the girls got to fill their little bags with candy as take-home favors. That was a big hit but I bought WAY too much candy. We now have next Halloween's candy already lined up! ;-)

Check out my other post on fairy parties here.  One other detail I just realized that I forgot to photograph was the custom invitations. Note to self: must take pics of the invites and post them here. I'll try to do that soon. I know I'm not the only one planning a fairy party this year, so maybe this helps inspire you? The fun part is that it can be whatever you make it...I didn't want mine to be blatant Tinkerbell, but there was definitely some Tinkerbell elements. What's most important - my daughters and their little friends had a great time.

5 comments:

  1. Great minds think alike. We have so many of the same ideas! We were going to have a fairy party for my 3 year old daughter, but she got sick and her party got postponed to next weekend (was supposed to be last weekend). I have the dollar tree skirts, and love the idea of the poster board wings. We are also having the bunting with scrapbook paper since I can't sew either. Hope my little fairy's party is as fun as yours looks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the beautiful party! We had a great time. And our wings and skirt are still in tact - they came home and went straight to our dress up trunk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this really is a great party and i love your idea of scrapbook bunting- very clever and since i don't sew, much more my speed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well no fairy parties happening in my neck of the woods...all boys here. But I enjoyed looking through all the great creativity you spread around...I love the centerpiece....so whimsical! Thanks for coming by Kreative Knack and leaving such wonderful comments!
    Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you mentioned making the bunting!I saw a great one on etsy that I might buy, but I'm going to go first and see what I might be able to make! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete

thank you for commenting, dahling! I can't wait to hear what you have to say. :-)