Wednesday, August 11, 2010

still here...




I'm still here. Planning the Largest Yard Sale of the Century. Okay, not really, but it seems big to me because it's SO much work. And here's the thing: don't ever buy a house with an unfinished basement...not unless you plan to finish it RIGHT AWAY. Because it becomes the biggest (free) storage space ever and when you put things down there to store "for a little while" they multiply. Something happens down there, in the darkness, and what was once a small collection of treasures quickly becomes a huge collection of junk. And then, if you're afraid of spiders, or allergic to dust, or just plain lazy (or some combination of all three) you never go through all that stuff. Because there might be spiders! Or dust! In fact, there are spiders and dust guaranteed. Not to mention the work involved. And isn't normal everyday life work enough?  So you continue to purchase treasures at other people's yard sales (some of which might occasionally find their way to said basement) while rarely having one of your own. Plus, don't even get me started on all the gear that comes with that tiny little creature known as a baby. And after three of them (babies, that is) there is a lot of gear.

 This is just a very small glimpse of what I'll be selling.

Anyhoo, I've got to get rid of it. All of it!

To make room for stuff (from other people's yard sales!) like this:

...One of my bestest bargains ever...a Mikasa white porcelain cake pedestal (in the original box!) for $1. No joke. It was actually marked $2 but all the lady's stuff was 50% off that day! I had thought it was a bargain at $2, but at $1 I almost felt guilty. Almost.

And this beauty. Found it this weekend for $20. My mom and I were standing at the sale, waiting to pay for something else, when they brought this out of the house. You better believe I SNATCHED it up immediately. I have plans for her. She will be sanded and repainted once my yard sale is over and we've cleaned up the aftermath.

What bargains have you found recently?

Oh, and if you're in the Oregon City, OR area and you want to come to my sale, just send me an email and I'll give you the location. :-)

top photo: source unknown (if you know the source, please tell me so I can give credit where it's due!)

7 comments:

  1. Boy would I love to come to your sale but since you aren't going to sell me the little white cabinet you just got, I guess I won't....LOL! That was a great score as well as the cake plate. Ohhh bargains just make me giddy! Have a successful sale my sweet!

    xo
    LeAnn
    P.S. I tell Mr. VS, gotta get rid of all the junk in the basement to make room for the new junk:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh what deals you found!!! i can't get back on the yard sale circuit...i can't! i have too much junk of my own to get rid of. i missed reading your blog...it's as great as ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed your blog. We need to have one of those. I think about it and then quickly forget about it~
    Bristol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cake stand is the BEST deal ever! I love it.

    I just found the most adorable vintage child-sized chest of drawers for $10.00!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the little chest, I would've grabbed it had I been at the door when it came out too, looking for one just like that too! Wish I could come to your garage sale but I live in the midwest where it is stinking hot now:( ALMOST too hot to garage sale. Mine is next week, wish me luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too funny about the unfinished basement. You're right! We have a finished basement, but the unfinished part always fills up with stuff and I never want to go back there with the cobwebs and the spiders to sort through it all.

    I have a theory that no matter how much storage space you have, you will fill it up. It's inevitable.

    Good luck with your yard sale. Wish I could stop by for it! :)

    ReplyDelete

thank you for commenting, dahling! I can't wait to hear what you have to say. :-)