Thursday, October 14, 2010

master bedroom makeover...for free!

master bedroom before

Last weekend I had an opportunity to do a fun three-hour redesign for a client. Her husband was out of town for the week, but is preparing to deploy for Iraq after the holidays. Understandably, she wanted a serene and romantic space for their master bedroom before then. The bed is missing a headboard, and the room had the unique challenge of being in a basement and therefore having a ledge surrounding most of the room. I think I turned these features into an asset by using the ledge as a headboard and having it be a staging area for candles and flowers. Here it is...


Master Bedroom after

We did absolutely no shopping for this space. We only used what my client already had in her home. We found a table from another room, lamps from other rooms, extra bedding that wasn't being used, and used flowers from her own front yard to complete the look. Wouldn't you love to see this room at night with all the candles lit? Stunning, I think.

other half of the room, before

The other end of the room was even more challenging, because my client really didn't have any bigger pieces of furniture available to create the sitting area of her dreams. Therefore, we went ahead and staged this space using what she has, but she has a shopping list for Craigslist and will be looking for a few larger pieces.

After

We took an old chair from the garage (a "project" chair that is waiting to be revamped) and temporarily dressed it up with a throw and a pillow. Even though you can tell that more furniture is needed, the space is still warmer and you can see that it is the beginning of a lovely sitting area. This is a good-sized master bedroom (what a blessing!) and my client has the following items on her shopping list for this space:

1. wood blinds - the 2" plantation ones in a warm wood finish (white will work if she can't find wood)
2. either two comfy upholstered chairs or a small love seat.. A chaise lounge, possibly with a second chair, would work as well. 
3. a small end table
4. table lamp or floor lamp (for reading)


When I first saw the space, the ledge seemed like it could be a bit of a problem child. But as I got farther into the transformation, I realized the ledge could really be a unique asset. We raided the client's kitchen for a bunch of milk bottles, since that was something she had in multiples. I feel that repetition of a simple design element is a great way to fill a long shelf or ledge like this, without the overall look becoming cluttered. The great thing is, she can put just about anything in these vases. Cherry branches in spring, flowers in summer and fall, bare branches in the winter. SO fun.



To make the bed seem more luxurious, we mixed and matched and layered linens like crazy. Thankfully, the last few times the client has bought bedding, it's all been in a similar color scheme. As a result, she has several sets of sheets and duvets that all compliment each other. I used striped sheets, a toile quilt, and a mono-chromatic patterned duvet cover layered on this bed with a variety of throw pillows. I think the overall effect is soft, inviting, and elegant.


This just goes to show that it doesn't have to take a lot of money to get a new look in your home. Sometimes just a friend with a different perspective can be the catalyst to your next makeover. Or, of course, you can always call someone like me. :-)  I just love doing this kind of thing, and I've decided that master bedrooms are one of my very favorite rooms to makeover. Usually, for most of us, it's the last room to get any attention. It should be a safe and calming place...a bit of a sanctuary...but usually, it's not! I'm on a one-woman mission to change that for America. Well, okay, at least for Oregon. Oh, all right, for the Portland area. But yes, definitely on a mission to makeover the master bedrooms of Portland, one room at a time! ;-)




12 comments:

  1. what an amazing makeover! i would love to have that as my master bedroom. i'm wondering what i can do to mine now....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what you did with this space -- especially the candles on the ledge behind the bed in lieu of a headboard. Looks simple and chic! :)

    Greta

    www.modgarden.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it looks totally different and amazing. You are very clever. Love the blog by the way. Will continue to pop in from Aussie-land if that is okay!!1...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the blog!
    Great bedroom makeover.
    Very chic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That's a fabulous makeover. I'm impressed that it was all done for free!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic work Courtney! It's so fun to see the magic you seem to create out of thin air :). Awesome girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job! I redid my sister's master for $40, I am sending you the link. We are of the same mind in shopping the house (even if it is a girlfriend or sister's house tee-hee)

    http://dharmainthefalls.blogspot.com/2010/04/because-i-love-her.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!!! What a transformation.

    You certainly did a fab job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It turned out really pretty. I love how you layered the bed. While you take care of the Oregon area, I'll take the Ohio area....LOL! I'm currently working on a sunroom for a new client.

    xo
    LeAnn

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is awesome. I love the ledge, the way you used things she already had, and the bedding is so impressive. You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have that same duvet cover! Target, yes?

    I love all the flowers, too! excellent work :)

    ReplyDelete

thank you for commenting, dahling! I can't wait to hear what you have to say. :-)